Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Titus Twosdays: Work, work, work, work.....


I don't know about you, but I'm prone to put tasks before people. Cooking before coloring.  Scrubbing before story time.  Paying bills before paying attention.  We touched on that subject last week at Bible study, and I heard once again that what matters most to God is people.  People first.  I do know that, it's just that I have a hard time doing it!  I'm apt to put off spending time with the people I love until my chores are finished.  It's just how I'm wired.  If you're a mother of young children, you may struggle with this, too.  If you stay home during the day, you spend your time making bottles, changing diapers, washing little faces, doing dishes, folding laundry, making beds, cooking dinner, mopping floors....a marathon of tasks that is never finished!  If you work outside of home, add the pressures of work to that list. And it will be exactly the same tomorrow, just like the movie "Groundhog Day", where Bill Murray constantly re-lives exactly the same day, over and over and over.... Right??

 So how do we keep a good attitude in the midst of it all?  How do we keep from being overwhelmed by the monotony and drudgery of it all?  By putting our focus where God says it needs to be:  on people.    By remembering as I match that basket of clean white socks, the healthy family members who'll wear them.  By thanking God for His provision as I pay this month's power bill.  By focusing on the wonderful husband I get to share my life with, as I hang up his clothes in our closet.  By choosing to focus on the why of our daily chores, instead of the chores themselves, we find meaning and purpose in everything we do. 

I better sign off now.  Time to make dinner for that awesome family of mine!

Today's Verse:  She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.  Proverbs 31:27  NLT

Prayer for Today:  Father, I'm so thankful for all you've provided: my husband and children, food, clothing, and shelter.  Help me to focus on the people in my life, rather than the tasks I must do every day.  Help me find purpose and joy in all that I do.  In Jesus name, Amen. 



No comments: