Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 9, 1981. I remember.....

To Gene,  the love of my life, father of my children, partner in everything....


I remember May of 1977, how I felt the first time you held my hand, and the first time you kissed me (I really did see stars!) I remember knowing with absolute certainty that you were the one for me as we talked for hours sitting on the floor in my parents' living room.  I remember the Eagles, Boston, and Kansas was the background music of our lives.  Carry On My Wayward Son....



I remember you weren't embarrassed to pick me up from work and be seen with me in my Burger King uniform....


I remember how we took a trip to Texas in the Spring of 1980  in your brand new yellow Pinto Station Wagon, windows down, listening to Rush "The spirit of radio" LOUD.  I remember building sand castles on the beach at Padre Island, and thinking how lucky I was to be there with you. 


And I remember how you asked me to marry you in front of the Mini Mart in Uvalde, and put a cigar band on my finger because you didn't have my ring yet.  I still have the cigar band :o)

.

On our wedding day, I remember how nervous I was, standing with my Dad at the back of St. John's Cathedral

looking at you standing there with Father Pat and thinking how handsome you looked in your white tie and black tails, then thinking "this is the longest aisle I've ever seen in my life!" and wondering if my Dad would catch me if I tripped...




And I remember how silly we felt the next morning, when we realized we had taken a limo from the church to the hotel, and didn't have a car to go home.  Your mom was so understanding when we called her for a ride....

And now thirty years have passed....it's February 9th, 2011.... and I love you so much, it takes my breath away.  For all the moments we've shared, all the storms we've weathered, the joy of our children, and most especially for God's love and grace and mercy in our lives, I am so grateful.

Happy anniversary, my love.  I pray He gives us 30 more years...or more!




4 comments:

Leasa said...

Beautiful. You made me tear. You guys are awesome. We need to get together some time soon. Happy Anniversary!

Leslie Oden said...

Aww, thanks Leasa!! We DO need to get together soon :o) Really enjoyed our impromptu lunch at Atlanta Bread Co! Thanks again for the anniversary wishes, we have lots to be thankful for!

Marsha said...

Amazing how love grows & changes but always remains love.

Leslie Oden said...

So true, Marsha. We aren't the same people we were 30 years ago, yet love remains. Beautiful!