Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Cup of Friendship



A sweet friend called me yesterday to ask if I had time for coffee, and we chose a day next week to get together.  As I hung up the phone, I marveled at what God has done in my heart.  Never one to have many women friends, today my life is full of friends of all ages who challenge, sharpen, inspire and support me....and a few who seriously crack me up! 

 Without a doubt, getting to know the ladies of Crossroads is one of the most most wonderful things about being a pastor's wife.  Ironic, because that intimate one-on-one kind of ministry and relationship is the thing I feared most before Crossroads opened its doors. "What if they don't like me?" "What if I don't know how to help?" "I'm not cut out to be a pastor's wife!" were just a few of my objections.  But my fears have melted like sugar in my coffee with each new friendship, and I treasure opportunities to connect with women.  Over a spiced Chai latte at my favorite coffee house, or a steaming cup of coffee in my kitchen, God has allowed me to share some of the most intimate events in the lives of Crossroads women.  A romantic proposal....a new bundle of joy....a broken relationship....the pain of infertility....the heartbreak of loss...all shared over a steaming mug of....anything... it's the friendship that eases the burdens, and multiplies the joys of life.

I don't need to be a Bible scholar, a psychologist, or a perfect wife or mom to share an encouraging word and a listening ear. And neither do you!  Who are the women God has placed in your life? Who can you encourage over a steaming cup of....friendship?

Today's Verse:  "Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ." Gal. 6:2 NLT

Prayer for Today:  Father, help me to open my heart and make time in my schedule for friends.  Lead me by your Spirit to those women whose friendship I need, and those who need mine.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. 

5 comments:

Hollie said...

Yay, Chick Food! I love you Leslie and am soooo thankful for your friendship and your encouraging words. You are a great friend and great "first lady'. LOL!!! Sorry, had to. =0) Keep posting, I really enjoy your stories and wisdom.
-HM

Leslie Oden said...

You crack me up, Hollie!! Love you so much, miss you like crazy. I'm thankful for your friendship, too, and for all the cups of coffee and great convo we've shared. Thank God for facebook and free long distance or I would be a pretty miserable puppy with you in Chicagoland!

Tammy said...

It's never easy for me to make friends in a new place. Thanks for reminding me that it's well worth the effort. Much love to you and your family. Tammy

Leslie Oden said...

Thanks, Tammy! I am loving following your family's French adventure via your photos and blog posts. We're praying for an opportunity to come hang out with you guys in Aix en Provence! I hope you will share your life with new friends in France...you have so much to share! Miss you all very much!

anything but LoKEY said...

So true! Love that ministry can just be like breathing.