Saturday, January 15, 2011

Rock Solid


In May of 2010, Gene and I had the privilege of traveling to our home state of Colorado to marry two dear friends.  It was an 1880's-themed wedding held in a beautiful grove of Aspen trees, near a picturesque old barn.  Nearly everyone was dressed in period attire, including my husband, the distinguished gent in the very tall hat.


In between costume fittings and wedding-related activities, we went for a drive in the mountains not far from Denver.  We came upon this beautiful stone chapel (pictured below)  near Estes Park, Colorado.  After a little research, we discovered it was called Saint Malo Chapel on the Rock. Apparently, the little stone church was the dream of one, Monsignor Bosetti, who prayed for twenty years for the funds to build it.  What you can't see very well in the photo above is the foundation of the chapel.  But in the picture below, you can see what I saw that day:  the building is constructed on the rock.  


It's hard to tell where the rock ends and the church begins, one just seems to flow out of the other.  Monsignor Bosetti and two friends, so the story goes, saw a meteorite fall toEarth one night in 1916.  When  Bosetti went to search for the pieces the following day, he came upon this huge rock.  He was reminded of the scripture which says "...upon this rock, I will build My church..." (Matthew 16:18 ESV) and was inspired to build this storied chapel.   


There is another scripture about building on a Rock, and that's the one I had in mind for this post, when I remembered St. Malo's chapel.  In this passage from Matthew's gospel, Jesus is speaking, and He says that obeying His words (the Bible) is like building our house on a rock.  Streams rise.  Winds blow.  Hearts break.  But our house-our life!-stands firm in the worst of times when we are doing the things He asks. 


I just want to encourage you today.  If you're loving your husband, teaching your children, attending church, studying God's word, serving others....whatever obedience to Christ looks like for you...you are building your life on an immovable, unshakable foundation.  Come what may, He is our Rock and Redeemer.


Prayer for today: Father, thank you that You are the firm foundation for my life.  No matter what storms may come, my life and my eternity are secure in You.  Help me to grow in obedience to Your word, and by your grace, strengthen me when I fail. In Jesus name, Amen.



Today's verse:  24 Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 
Matthew 7:24-25 NIV

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that chapel in Estes Park...Mike and my wedding was actually just down the road from it.

Leslie Oden said...

Cool! It's such a beautiful area, I was born in Durango, Colorado, raised in Littleton, where I met Gene. :0) We were married at Saint John's Cathedral in Denver, 30 years ago- February 9, 1981!