Monday, September 29, 2008

BREAKFAST



Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.
Much of the time, my house is filled with teenagers. Three of them are mine, and they all have friends that like to visit. They hang out, play music, watch movies, ride the golf cart, and eat everything in sight! Many Saturday mornings find them scattered around my house in sleeping bags, on couches, or in tents by the lake in the backyard.
Saturday morning is breakfast time for the masses. I always have breakfast food in the house, but some mornings I tell them what’s here for breakfast, and let them serve themselves. My freezer is loaded with waffles, breakfast sandwiches, and toaster streudel. The refrigerator is brimming with good things: juice, fresh fruit, milk, yogurt, and eggs. My pantry is stocked with bread, cereal, and other goodies. There is a bountiful breakfast there, but usually they don’t eat much.
But most Saturday mornings when we have a houseful, I’m up early making breakfast for our guests. I brew the coffee, make sweet rolls or muffins, and make a big breakfast buffet for them. When people finally amble into my kitchen, everything looks and smells delicious, inviting them to eat. All they have to do is grab a plate and enjoy. They eat lots more when I put the food on display!
In the life of a Christ-follower, the fruit of the Spirit is not unlike my breakfast buffet. There’s an abundance of love, joy, peace, and patience in us, ready to give to those around us. There’s a buffet of kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, there for the taking. But do we put it on display, like an inviting buffet, by living our lives for others? Or do we hide it, like food in the pantry, by selfish living? Jesus said “let your light shine”. Let people see Christ in you. Let his love and goodness draw them to a life of following Him, because they saw Him in you!
Prayer for today: Heavenly Father, help me to live a life that displays the fruit of Your Spirit. Help me to live for others, letting my “light shine” so they may find their way to You. In Christ’s name I pray. Amen.

2 comments:

Kendall said...

I think this is my favorite so far. I just love reading your blogs. I don't even like to call them that because they are so much more. I love you and think about you often.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Kendall. Your encouraging words are like sunshine to me! xoxo L.