Friday, September 19, 2008

MY BIRD

2Cor4:7 We have this treasure from God, but we are like clay jars that hold the treasure. This shows that the great power is from God, not from us.

I live in a tropical area of the South, where the weather is balmy for a good part of the year. The forest around my house is just teeming with wildlife. Deer, possum, rabbits, armadillos, turtles, and scores of birds are among the creatures that call this place home. There is one bird in particular I affectionately call “my bird”.

When we moved to Alabama from Colorado some years ago, I was very homesick for the comfort of my Rocky Mountain home . It was hard to embrace my new surroundings, because everything was so different. I had to adjust to the heat, high humidity, giant bugs, Southern drawls, and sugar in my tea! Over the past eleven years though, I've come to love everything about my Southern home.

Not long after we moved here, I started hearing this beautiful bird-song in the mornings. Her song was clear, musical, and happy….unlike any I had heard before. I looked for the singer of this joyful song, hoping to catch a glimpse, but gave up after a time, content to listen to her sweet forest melody. Several years later, we moved to another house and once again, everything was unfamiliar.

One morning, I was sitting in my office, wishing my bird had made the move with us. Suddenly, I heard that song! I quickly ran out to front the porch. I wanted to see the majestic and beautiful bird who sang that heavenly song. And there, in the rafters of my porch, was a very small brown finch, singing that familiar refrain. How could something so ordinary make such a beautiful sound? How could something so glorious be contained in something so unremarkable?

Later, I thought of 2 Corinthians 4:7 which says that you and I have this treasure (God's glory) in jars of clay. Don't let that ordinary Earth suit in the mirror fool you, though. We may look unremarkable on the outside, but inside....the creativity, strength and beauty of the human spirit is unmatched among God's creations. Who among us can boast then? Clearly our "song" is His and not our own. Just plain glorious.

Prayer for today: Father, thank you that we can see your splendor displayed in your creation. Thank you for using an ordinary person like me to show your glory, your power to a world in desperate need of You. In Christ’s name I pray. Amen.

No comments: