Thursday, October 23, 2008

LITE BRITE


14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.   
                                     Matthew 5:14-16     The Message


As a young girl in the 1970's, I wasn't very athletic.  Except for snow skiing and backpacking, most of my leisure activites centered around being creative.  I loved to sing, read, write poetry and music, and I always enjoyed creating "art" with our Lite Brite.  Using this simple grid of small holes, brightly colored plastic pegs, and printed templates, I spent many happy afternoons creating sailboats, clowns, and crocodiles. There was something so satisfying about spending time creating an intricate design, peg by colorful peg.  But the real beauty of my picture was revealed when I plugged it in, and the light bulb inside illuminated my artwork for everyone to see!  

This morning in my quite time, I came across this scripture passage from The Message translation of the Bible.  While I don't use The Message for verse by verse study of God's word, I often find it captures the theme and application of a scripture.  Maybe you know this verse better from the King James Version: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.  (Matthew 5:16) Maybe you even sang about it in Sunday school:  "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!" The Message reads "You are here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world."  And that's what got me thinking about my Lite Brite, and about letting my light shine.

So what does that mean, letting our light shine? The answer is tucked inside Matthew 5:16: "Let your light so shine before men,  that they may SEE your good works....."  Those around us see Jesus in the "light" of our good works.  Our obedience, the fruit of His Spirit, they all point people to Christ, and bring glory to God!  My Lite Brite wasn't much to look at without the light bulb.  The colors were dull and the design barely visible.  The light inside was the key to its beauty. And without His light, we're not much to see either! Without the Light, the world sees a dull, lifeless picture of our Savior.  So let's light it up today.  Bring light to someone who's hurting.  Bring light to a dark place.  This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Prayer for Today:  Father,  You said our light was meant to be put on a light stand, on a hilltop for all to see.  Help me to carry Your light into my world so that others may see You clearly, and give glory to You.  In Jesus' name,  Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was exactly what was on my mind on Wednesday. I looked up every place the word "light" was in the Bible and how it was used. Pretty neat stuff.
-HM