Monday, October 6, 2008

REAL FOOD


34"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. John 4:34 NIV

Being a Pastor’s wife and church planter, I talk to lots of people about church. “I love my church!” some tell me. I also hear “I’m just not being fed at my church”. Jesus had a thing or two to say about food and church, we’ll see in a minute. After nineteen years of serving in ministry, I’ve discovered that whether or not we’re “fulfilled” in our church experience, is almost entirely up to us. Yes, it matters what kind of church we choose. But let's also take some big-girl responsibility for our spiritual lives. Let’s allow this verse from John’s gospel to shed some light on the matter.

In this passage of scripture in John 4, after long days of preaching, teaching and healing, Jesus’ disciples were encouraging Him to eat. “C’mon, Rabbi, just a little sandwich?” they might’ve asked. Jesus totally confused them by saying “I have food to eat you don’t know about.” I'm sure they were asking each other "who brought Him lunch?" when He told them “My food is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish His Work.” His food, His nourishment, His fuel was doing the will of God. It’s our food, too.

I can say with certainty that the times in my life I’ve been weakest and most unhappy,are the times I’ve been focused on me, not others. I’ve known many people over the years who never DO anything in church but attend. Usually they are the most unhappy people in the church. They skip those opportunities to serve others. They are quick to point out problems, but don't offer to help. They hop from church to church in search of a more “satisfying” experience. What’s the problem here? No food. Spiritual malnutrition.

If we find ourselves complaining about church to our friends, or feeling like an outsider, it might be good to check up on the “food” supply. Ask yourself: Am I serving in my church? Do I support my church with my time and treasure? Am I focused on the needs of others? If you answered ‘no’ to these questions, you might be hungry for the kind of food Jesus is talking about in John 4:34. Doing God’s will. It’s the real breakfast of champions. Way better than Wheaties. Way better than anything!

Prayer for Today: Father, please help me to see where I’ve been selfish with my time, talent and treasure. Help me to see that I will be fed and nourished as I DO your will! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it sistah! Seriously though, it is so true. We ought to look at serving as an honor. I mean, Jesus said, "What you do unto the least of these, you do unto Me." -Matthew 25:40
It doesnt matter how small you might think your "service" is, it all matters because we are all a part of one big family and one big vision. You can put it in the context of your big toe. Its a small part on our body, but cut it off and your whole gait is thrown out of whack. So if the "big toe" is not answering the call to serve, not only is the church body missing a vital part, but that "big toe" is missing out on the blessing that comes from serving.
-HM

michelle.hammons said...

Love it Leslie!! This describes to a T the reason I ended up at Crossroads! I am so honored to be serving to and with you guys!! God is amazing!!