Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Can they see it?


So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples. John 13:34-35 NLT (emphasis mine)

As I promised, I began my day by reading God's word, and I was not disappointed! I treasure this verse in the gospel of John. Being kind and serving other Christ followers is much more than just kindness (it is a command, after all!). But it's also a powerful tool for sharing Christ with the world around us. Think about this: as you serve fellow believers by sharing your gifts and talents, you're showing the world you really are a follower of Jesus. As you show love by bearing someone else's burden or meeting a brother or sister's need, you prove to those who are watching your life that your faith in Him is genuine.

If our love for each other proves to a watching world that we are His disciples, what does strife between us show them? Discord and disagreement between believers proclaims to a skeptical world that we are not who we say we are. Next time you're tempted to be at odds with another believer, consider who may be watching. Is it worth it? Maybe we should seek to live in peace with one another, loving each other, so the world will believe us when we say we are following Jesus.

Prayer for Today: Father, help me to love, serve, and be at peace with other believers, so those who are watching my life may believe I am truly Your disciple. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: