Friday, November 12, 2010

Banner Mom








Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.

-Hebrews 13:5 NKJV




Are you one of those moms who decorates the outside of her house for every season and holiday? Not just twinkle lights at Christmas, but flags and wreaths and yard ornaments for every occasion? "Welcome Spring!" your yard cheerfully exclaims. If you are that girl, I must admit I've looked longingly at your banners and bunnies, your sugarplums and snowmen and wondered why your life is so together, and what's wrong with me?! And I've secretly wished I was a Banner Mom, too.

Today, as I read Hebrews 13:5, I realized that I've always thought about this verse in terms of material things. I mean, I understand that God wants me to be grateful for the house, car, and clothing He has provided for me, and that I shouldn't covet yours. But shouldn't this 'being content' go much deeper than that? Doesn't He also want us to be content with who He's made us to be? With the gifts we've received? With the place where we live? Do we find ourselves wishing we lived somewhere else? Or that we had someone else's job, talent, or ministry? Ouch.

God has a plan and a purpose for each one of us, and we're gifted and shaped to accomplish that purpose. Should we mourn the gifts we didn't receive? Should I want to be a creative "banner mom" like you? I don't think so. That's not the gift I need to accomplish His purpose in my life. I may not be able to decorate my porch for all seasons, but I was a good English student and I love to write. So we use what we have, and leave the results up to Him. And the next time I drive by the reindeer in your yard, I'll remember I get to write about it.....


Prayer for Today: Father, help me to be content with what I have in every area of my life. Help me to cherish and be grateful for the family, job, city, church, and gifts you have given to me. Help me accomplish Your purpose for my life. In Jesus name, Amen.







No comments: