Monday, April 8, 2013

Thirty-one: Great Lengths

(This is the 5th in a 10-post series)



She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.  She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.  
  Proverbs 31: 13-14

As we continue our look at Proverbs 31, let's remember that we decided up front not to view these verses as an impossible to-do list.  Instead, we're searching for encouragement, inspiration, and opportunities to grow as women and as Christ followers. With that in mind, I hope this post will encourage you, because I know you are already a doer of today's text!


Back when this proverb was penned, I'm sure selecting wool and flax was a really important life skill. I don't know about you, but the last time I searched for wool, I was in seventh grade Home Ec.  And I actually had to look up "flax" in the online dictionary, to make sure I knew what it was...  So is there any modern application for verses 13 & 14? After studying over a dozen translations of these verses and reading several commentaries, here's my take: the virtuous wife goes out of her way to provide for her household, and works hard with a willing heart.  That's you, right?  So next time you're searching Ebay on your lunch hour, or driving to the consignment store for affordable kids clothes, pouring over the sale papers for coupons, or trekking to that grocery store across town for BOGO deals for the freezer, think to yourself "I'm working hard, going to great lengths to provide for my family! I'm doing Proverbs 31!"  

You don't want to miss tomorrow's post.  I think verse 15 is the one that talks about rising before dawn, and making sure our servant girls have a good breakfast.  Umm...yeah.  Stay tuned, ladies!

Prayer for Today: Father, thank you for the encouragement found in Your word.  Help me to always work with willing hands and heart to provide for my household.  Help me to grow, and to share what I learn with the young women in my life.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

To read the other posts in this Proverbs 31 series, go here and type Thirty-one in the 'Search' box. 







No comments: