Thursday, October 9, 2008

REVEAL


2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 1 John 3:2 NKJV

Often, God teaches me spiritual principles through everyday events. Maybe because He thinks I wouldn't get it otherwise....? I took Samuel to the orthodontist today to have his braces removed. He wore them for almost two years, and the fruit of his efforts is a straight, beautiful smile. Caitlin had an appointment today, too. She wore braces for almost three years, and her retainer for a year. She has a gorgeous smile to show for it. Here's what I saw today as I looked at my teenagers' teeth: the transformation of their smiles was complete before we could see it.

Do you ever watch those extreme-makeover reality shows? No, I'm sure you don't.....Well, if you did, you would see the show's creators put the participants through the paces of transformation-tummy tuck, microdermabrasion, tanning, veneers for the teeth, and a fashion overhaul. Then, ta-dah!! The reveal! The family and friends get to see the changed person. This past weekend, the title of Sunday's message at Crossroads was "Reveal", a message about baptism. The main point was that in baptism, we reveal to the world our identification with Christ. We reveal to those around us something that has already happened on the inside.

Here's what I want you to get today. When we received Christ, the Bible teaches in 2 Corinthians 5:17 that you and I became brand new creations. Old things passed away, and all things became new! But we look exactly the same on the outside. The radical change is completely invisible at first. We know we're different, yet our life looks pretty much the same in many respects. But like braces on my children's teeth, like the plastic surgeon on the makeover show, God is at work inside of us, conforming us to the image of Christ, equipping us for eternity. Transformation is underway, seen in small ways as we follow Him, but not to be completely revealed until a day of His choosing, known only to Him, when Christ is revealed. It's the Ultimate Reveal! Aren't you thankful He's not done with us yet? I'm not what I will be, but thank God I'm not what I was!

Prayer for Today: Heavenly Father, thank You that You are not finished with me yet. Thank You for molding me and shaping me, making me fit for Your work here on Earth, and for Your eternal Kingdom. Help me to walk in Your ways, that I may lead others to the transforming power of Jesus Christ. In His precious Name, Amen.

4 comments:

Kendall said...

Thank you Jesus for this! It seems like I get surgery just about every day! But I asked for it! Maybe one day I'll be a supermodel! hahaha, God is so good.

jstmenkay said...

as always...reading my heart! thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

I just love "Chick Food"! Very filling....Love, Kelly

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, girls! =)